SOLR custom index rebuilding error

 So while rebuilding a custom index locally, I started to get Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: cannot change DocValues type from SORTED_NUMERIC to SORTED_SET for field "__standard_values_sm" 

There is very little information on this error with SOLR and Sitecore. It turns out you need to blow away the SOLR indexes data and start new.

In my case: C:\solr-8.1.1\server\solr\system_index\data\index the index folder needed to be deleted. 

My research indicates that this is a known issue with SOLR and is some issue with Lucene and how it manages indexes. This is not so much a lessons learned but wanted to document how to resolve as this was the second time I faced this issue. I'm getting older so better to document with a silly blog posts so it is there to remind me. :-)

Comments